We believe that all learners should have the opportunity to benefit fully from a broad and balanced SMART curriculum programme, which makes a relevant and strong contribution to a learner’s education.
Our highly skilled and motivated teachers provide a healthy ethos for all learners. They aim to:
- Reinforce an expectation that all learners are capable of achieving high standards in Mathematics
- Foster deep conceptual and procedural knowledge at all points across the curriculum
- Ensure what is learned is sustained over time by becoming fluent in the fundamentals of Mathematics
- Encourage achievement in the areas of confidence and competence
- Develop resilience in learners and reduce anxieties in Mathematics.
This ‘mastery style’ ethos is demonstrated in Years 7 and 8, over 4 lessons per week, by adopting an inclusive Resilience or L4L curriculum, which includes a variety of learning strategies that encourage motivation and meet the needs of all learners.
Learners are taught in mixed ability groups giving rise to a collaborative learning experience, boosting confidence and allowing rapid progress to be made.
In Years 9, 10 and 11, learners study towards a qualification from Edexcel in GCSE Mathematics at Higher and Foundation tiers.
Year 9 learners have 8 lessons, Years 10 and 11 have 10 lessons, over a two-week period. Years 10 and 11 programmes include two bespoke lessons dedicated to enhancing the weak areas identified from regular formal and low-stakes assessments.
Throughout the year there are 6 assessment points for all year groups which take the form of relevant past GCSE papers.
For more information please contact Mr Duckworth at the Academy on 01384 253722